Welcome to Forum!

Stay informed, get involved, and give back. Whether it's through a local regional network event, our online directory, or social media, this is your Forum for all things Grinnellian. You do not have to be logged in to Forum to register for an event, make a gift, and read most pages. Logging in, however, does give you access to our online directory of thousands of Grinnellians, including fellow alumni, students, faculty, and staff.

Q&A with Peter Coyote ’64

Peter Cohon Coyote"When Peter Cohon Coyote and I met for our interview in Bucksbaum Center for the Arts," says Elise Hadden ’14, "I was recovering from a weeklong illness. As he introduced himself and reached out his hand, I clasped my hands behind me and said ‘I’d shake your hand, but I’m a little sick today and I don’t want to infect you.’ He said, ‘Ok, well how about a hug?’ then embraced me like I was an old friend.

This casual charm, along with a healthy dose of thoughtfulness and clarity, pervaded the rest of our conversation. As we sat outside in the Bucksbaum courtyard, occasionally ruffled by the fall breeze, Coyote spoke candidly with me about his Grinnell experience, love of learning, and the value of Zen Buddhist practice.

Read Hadden’s interview with the actor, writer, and countercultural icon.

Across the Generations

Louise McKleevan throws the ball to the Twins mascot.Ever since she was a little girl, Louise McKleevan ’35 dreamed of “standing on the mound, throwing the first pitch at a professional baseball game.”

After over 70 years of fandom, the diehard Minnesota Twins fan did just that thanks to Wish of a Lifetime and her senior living community. Sally Webster ’08 is part of the nonprofit that made it happen.

Read more about Louise McKleevan and her wish.

News: Grinnell Retains Need-Blind

On Oct. 9, 2015, the Grinnell College Board of Trustees voted to retain the policies of need-blind admission and meeting 100 percent of demonstrated need for domestic students. Read more about the background of this decision and its implications for the future.

Fundraising and Engagement Continue Upward in FY 2015

New philanthropic commitments to Grinnell College from alumni, friends, parents, faculty, students, and foundation and corporation partners broke the $20 million mark in fiscal year 2015. Total commitments reached $23,352,051, compared with $12,521,188 in the same period a year ago — an increase of 86.5 percent in new gifts, new pledges, and new bequests documented during the year. Read more about how gift and donor participation totals reflect a renewed culture of philanthropy.

What's New in Alumni News? 

Photo from Intersections by Daniel Kisslinger '14 Intersections: The Roads Traveled After Graduation  Follow the journey of Daniel Kisslinger '14 as he takes to the road to talk with Grinnellians about their journeys after graduation. 

The Story of How Grinnell Students Brought Home the Story of Selma  On March 25, 1965, an epic demonstration for voting rights ended in a triumphant rally at the Alabama capitol in Montgomery after a 5-day, 50-mile walk from Selma. Among those who were there that historic month of March were Grinnell students who brought home photos and stories for the College's student newspaper.  Grinnell College alum and Board of Trustee member Hal Fuson '67 offers  his first-hand account .

Gift Announcements 

Andrés Chang '05 realized a dream he'd had since graduation: to establish an endowed scholarship. Read about Chang's gift and have a conversation with Chang about its significance to him.

Karen Van Dusen '77 and Joel Spiegel '78 have pledged $1 million for new learning spaces for Grinnell's humanities and social studies programs. Read about their gift here.

Susan McCurry '71, member of the Grinnell College Board of Trustees, has pledged $4 million to start Global Learning Program.  Read more about McCurry's gift here.

A $300,000 gift from M. Anne Spence '66, Board of Trustee member, will advance study of the Classics at Grinnell and support upgrade to the College's humanities and social studies learning spaces. Read  about Spence's gift here.  

And Last But Not Least... Scarlet and Give Back Day!  We would have to call it a success. But don't take our word for it. Check the numbers yourself. More here. 

Please note: To search the Forum directory, you must be logged in.

Recent Discussions

Posted by on May 21, 2015 at 09:45am

We're hoping to leave our car in the Quad Cities so we can head home from the end rather than going back to Grinnell.  
Will anyone be coming from the east through the Quad Cities who would be willing to carpool to Grinnell for the start?  
Otherwise we will probably have to get a shuttle and meet everyone in Sioux City instead of in Grinnell. 

Group Events